Barcelona coach Luis Enrique is set to be offered a new contract by the LaLiga champions in January.
Luis Enrique led the Catalan giants to a second consecutive Spanish title last season and his current deal expires at the end of the upcoming campaign.
He was handed a one-year contract extension at the end of the triumphant 2014-15 season, but is yet to be given a further commitment by the club.
Nevertheless, Camp Nou vice-president Jordi Mestre is relaxed over the situation and expects a fresh offer to be made to the 46-year-old in the new year.
Asked by Mundo Deportivo whether an extension was imminent, he said: Not now. We ll talk when the time comes.
We are not in a hurry and I don t think he is, but we will make an offer to him, for sure…
Barcelona are attempting to strike a balance with Samuel Umtiti s wage demands and their salary structure as negotiations continue over an improved deal.
Club president Josep Maria Bartomeu confirmed discussions are ongoing with the France defender, who is reportedly a target for Manchester United.
Umtiti still has three years remaining on his contract and last week professed his love for the club he joined from Lyon in 2016.
But a relatively low release clause of €60million provides encouragement for rival bids, with Barca understood to be eager to increase the figure.
Umtiti has a contract. We are talking with him to renew it, Bartomeu told radio station RAC1.
We try to maintain a salary structure that has a certain harmony.
We w…
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is absolutely adamant that Raheem Sterling will sign a new contract in the near future.
The England international, 19, is in contract talks with the club amid reports linking him with UEFA Champions League powerhouses Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid.
However, when asked if he believes Sterling wants to stay at Anfield, Rodgers said: Yes. Absolutely adamant. I don t think there is anything other than that.
His agent is a good agent and he understands this is the perfect place for him.
Rodgers added: It s not a big issue for us. Ian Ayre has spoken with his representatives and he is quite relaxed. The club is dealing with the agent so everything is calm.
The boy is remarkably happy here and th…
UEFA has removed the restrictions on the transfer spending and Champions League squad sizes of Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain after the two clubs met their Financial Fair Play (FFP) targets.
Both City and PSG competed in last season s Champions League with just 21 players instead of the usual 25 and also had their spending capped at £49million for breaches of FFP regulations.
In addition, the clubs agreed that their wage bill for the 2014-15 Champions League squad would not exceed that of the 2013-14 campaign, while fines of £16.3m a year were levied.
However, UEFA relaxed its regulations on Tuesday and the organisation s Club Financial Control Body has now decided that the remaining two years fines for City and PSG will not be imposed.
Ligue 1 clubs Ajaccio and Reims were knocked out of the Coupe de France as unlikely winners Rouen and Plabennec prevailed on Saturday.
Ajaccio, under the guidance of new manager Albert Emon for the first time, went down 3-2 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at third-tier Rouen in the last 64 of the competition.
Former Olympique Marseille boss Emon, who replaced the sacked Alex Dupont last month, watched his new team go a goal down when Zahir Zerdab opened the scoring for Rouen in the 63rd minute.
Wilfried Zahibo s 89th-minute equaliser forced the match into a goalless extra time before Rouen goalkeeper Theo Defourny saved three penalties in the shootout to thwart Ajaccio.
We have achieved something beautiful. I just tried to relax and luck was on my side, D…
Racing Club forward Lautaro Martinez has claimed Real Madrid have tabled an offer for him, but the 18-year-old believes his club are unlikely to let go of him unless his €8 million buyout clause is met.
The attacker is regarded as one of the most promising youngsters in Argentina and Martinez s potential has seemingly not gone unnoticed at the Santiago Bernabeu.
It is true that I received a rough draft of an offer from Real Madrid to play a year on loan, with an option to buy, Martinez told Marca.
But my buy-out clause was a bit high at €8 million. If they really want me, they ll have to pay that amount as Racing won t accept anything less.
I m constantly talking with the president of my club and I know that my coach is counting on me for the seaso…
Juventus great Gianluigi Buffon took to the field to play a Champions League match for a landmark 100th time in Wednesday s 1-1 draw against Lyon.
Two of those appearances came in finals, but ultimately the Italy legend fell short against AC Milan in 2003 and Barcelona in 2015.
However, Buffon remains a stalwart in Europe s premier competition and using Opta stats we look at some of the numbers behind his brilliant century of appearances.
100 – number of appearances in the Champions League, still some 60 shy of friend Iker Casillas who holds the record for a keeper.
94 – Buffon s tally of matches played for Juve in the Champions League, the most of any player for the Bianconeri.
42 – Of the 100 matches Buffon has played, he has ke…
Best Odds: 4/11
Bookmaker:
In what is a mouth-watering way to open this year s Premier League campaign, Tottenham will welcome Manchester City to North London on Sunday afternoon.
Tottenham
Starting with the hosts, while most of the headlines in the build-up to Sunday s opener might have been stollen by Harry Kane s potential move to The Sky Blues, the North London outfit are beginning a new adventure this season. With it confirmed over the summer that former Wolves boss Nuno Espírito Santo would be the man to replace Ryan Mason as the new permanent coach in their dugout, The Lilywhites have enjoyed an eye-catching pre-season run. Managing to pick up what was a real morale-boost last weekend as they secured a 1-0 victory against bitter rivals Arsenal, Spurs we…
Manchester City have submitted a planning application for the expansion of the Etihad Stadium, the club announced on Tuesday.
City s statement described the development of a best-in-class fan experience and year-round entertainment and leisure destination .
The work centres around the Etihad s North Stand, which would be expanded to increase the stadium s capacity to over 60,000, City added.
A revamped fan zone, a new club shop, a club museum and a hotel also form part of the proposal.
We are delighted to announce a planning application has been submitted for an entertainment destination at the Etihad Stadium.
— Manchester City (@ManCity)
City estimate it will bring more than £300million investment into the area, with the work set to t…
Real Madrid captain Raul is looking for the goal that will take him level with the great Alfredo di Stefano as the club s all-time leading scorer when Real travel to Numancia on Saturday.
Raul scored his 306th goal last weekend and has the chance to equal di Stefano s mark and help Real cut Barcelona s lead at the top to 12 points.
At the moment maybe it is easier to win a tenth European Cup than the league when you consider that Barca s form is not dipping, explained Raul.
It s not impossible to overcome a deficit of 12 points, but if they (Barca) don t lose points it is not going to be possible to catch them.
While Raul has iconic status at Real, Dutch winger Roysten Drenthe is finding out how demanding the fans can be after being jeered when he cam…